Animelovers411 Connection

Hello, Welcome to animelovers411 Connection! Please Login or Sign up With us!
Thank you

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello, Welcome to animelovers411 Connection! Please Login or Sign up With us!
Thank you

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new Forum made for the true Animelovers411 viewers! Get to know all new anime lovers and old firends on you new Animelovers411 Connection!

Enjoy anime at 11:00 pm to 5:00 am, Saturday night on Adult Swim!

5 posters

Maximum Ride Manga Series

Saito Hajime
    Saito Hajime
    Pirvite First Class Animelogist

Maximum Ride Manga Series Empty Maximum Ride Manga Series

Post by Saito Hajime Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 pm

I don't know if anyone here has heard of the Maximum Ride book series, but they made the series into a manga. I was at Barnes and Noble one day and I saw the manga. You have to read it right to left and originally mangas are left to right. I guess my question is do you consider a "manga" a manga even if it's right to left or should it only be consider a manga when it is left to right? A confusing question I might say?
    minininja
    minininja
    Sergeant Major Animelogist

Maximum Ride Manga Series Empty Re: Maximum Ride Manga Series

Post by minininja Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm

i do doesnt matter to me
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:40 am

Saito Hajime wrote:I don't know if anyone here has heard of the Maximum Ride book series, but they made the series into a manga. I was at Barnes and Noble one day and I saw the manga. You have to read it right to left and originally mangas are left to right. I guess my question is do you consider a "manga" a manga even if it's right to left or should it only be consider a manga when it is left to right? A confusing question I might say?

Hum, I'm not sure if you're talking about the panels or pages; originally manga is read from the right to the left (this means starting by what you would call the cover of the book) and from the top right to the bottom left of the page (therefore pictures in the same line would be read from right to left, reverse of western comics).

Some publishers opt to flip the images so manga follow the structure of western comic books, but I don't think they are doing that anymore, currently they choose to preserve the original structure (wise). So, you can pretty much say all the manga who follow western structure are western manga. This doesn't mean there aren't western manga with the original manga structure, but it's very unlikely, as the proeminent structure is the western, but may do so as respect to the original.

P.S: I hope I was helpful...I wrote a testimony didn't I (frown)
    So, what how do we limit what's manga? ln japanese, manga is the word for comic books. We already have the word comics, so manga is standing for all the comics (being created in both western and eastern) which style is based on the one of japanese comics. For example, Maximum Ride, even you say it doesn't follow the original manga structure, it is still labelled as manga as its art's style is modelled after the characteristic japanese comics one.

But, what happens when we encounter a japanese comic book which style is not the characteristic one: in this case, according to our definition, it's not labelled as Manga.
    So, the question is, should we label manga solely as japanese comic books instead? But the what about the non-japanese works that f?
    Or should we label manga as all kind of japanese comic books plus all the comic books who follow their characteristic style? But in that case, isn't all range of art style englobed? If so, in that case would be the structure to distinguish manga within comic books? But then what would happen to the western comic books which art is the characteristic japanese one and, however, structured in a western way?

In the end, the most accurate definition to the idea we want to express is the first one: all the comics which follow the characteristic art of japanese comics. Therefore one should adress to manga based on solely the style of the art. Concluding, despite the book's structure, if the art style is the characteristic japanese one, it's manga.
    Yoko-chan
    Yoko-chan
    Major Animelogist
    Major Animelogist

Post by Yoko-chan Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 am

Iru-chan is right. Manga is read from right to left. However, if it was the other way around, i don't think it would bother me much. Actually when i first started reading mangas, i was quite annoyed that i had to read the from right to left. Smile) Now i'm ok with it.
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Yup, same as Yoko-chan, you'll get used.
    Saito Hajime
    Saito Hajime

Post by Saito Hajime Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank you guys for you opinions. @Iru You were helpful. Come to think of it it doesn't really matter, the most important part I would guess is if you like it.
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:30 am

I'm glad to know. Yup, even in manga, you can like and dislike things about it, for example, the art.

I just noticed something wrong happened there with text, my previous post needs some editing... later.
    zero
    zero

Post by zero Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Saito Hajime wrote:Thank you guys for you opinions. @Iru You were helpful. Come to think of it it doesn't really matter, the most important part I would guess is if you like it.

thats very true i mean if you dont like it then whats the point right?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:32 pm