Animelovers411 Connection

Hello, Welcome to animelovers411 Connection! Please Login or Sign up With us!
Thank you

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello, Welcome to animelovers411 Connection! Please Login or Sign up With us!
Thank you

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new Forum made for the true Animelovers411 viewers! Get to know all new anime lovers and old firends on you new Animelovers411 Connection!

Enjoy anime at 11:00 pm to 5:00 am, Saturday night on Adult Swim!

5 posters

Need some Recommendations for Manga

Saito Hajime
    Saito Hajime
    Pirvite First Class Animelogist

Need some Recommendations for Manga Empty Need some Recommendations for Manga

Post by Saito Hajime Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:24 pm

For Christmas I got a $50 gft for Barnes and Noble. What manga's would be the best to get?
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Need some Recommendations for Manga Empty Re: Need some Recommendations for Manga

Post by Iru Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:50 am

Hum, well, first, what titles or genres you fancy? Is there any manga you're interested in? Which titles are available?
    TGM
    TGM
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Need some Recommendations for Manga Empty Re: Need some Recommendations for Manga

Post by TGM Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:01 am

She likes Action, Comedy, and Fantasy xD

Bakuman. but I'll let you borrow that if you want.
    zero
    zero
    Sergeant Major Animelogist

Post by zero Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14 am

I would get rumbling hearts if you ask me lol
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:35 am

Ok, I took a look in the online store. The first thing I recommend is do give priority to japanese manga. I never read, besides one from my sister (story ok but artwork is very dissatisfying), and I'm not very certain about the western ones. It can be a disappointment and I personally wouldn't like to waste money. Also, sometimes (though not only western ofc) the illustrator of the cover is not the same of the manga, so be attentive. Another thing you should have in mind is the length, if you don't mind having discontinued series or the series are to be completed (bit messy, hope I made my point)

The japanese titles I saw (excluded Majora's Mask (The Legend of Zelda Series #3) and other of it;Pokemon;Speed Racer: Mach Go Go Go Box Set):
    • Junjou Romantica - BL (boy's love). It's not PwP however, though I'm not sure how far the setting and story goes... You should check some review.
    • Shugo Chara! - Read some part of the manga and didn't really interest me. And I mention here that I adored CSS when I was younger.
    • Maid Sama! - Read and it was a nice surprise. I advise you to give it a quick look in Mangafox to see if you fancy the setting.
    • Vampire Knight - Read and stopped. I, personally, would prefer it over Black Bird because it has more plot...but this manga is quite a mystery to me -I've had this convo with Yoko-chan. It has a kind of turn that was 180º and I'm a bit clueless about the whereabouts of the manga. But, as I said to Yoko-chan, I prefer to wait and see how it turns as I think the first part was well-done, so I put my faith in the mangaka. Meanwhile, it's on hiatus for me.
    • FullMetal Alchemist - Not completely read but I have several copies. Don't think there's need to say nothing. Very worthy in my opinion and one of the mangas I'm avid in collecting.
    • Black Bird - Read (series not completed though). It's pleasant but it doesn't have a strong plot.
    • Hellsing - Haven't read and can't comment as I haven't watched the anime either. I do know it's dark action containing vampires.
    • Pandora Hearts - Read and have copy. I don't know if you've ever watched the anime adaptation, if you did, be assured that you won't be dissapointed with the original work. I think this series is all about if you are into the plot or not. I also like a lot how the mangaka delivers things, both art and words.
    • Bleach - Haven't read or completed watching. However, needless to explain what it's about.
    • Chobits - Haven't read but watched the anime. I haven't really read any manga by Clamp but I daresay you won't get mediocrity. They have beautiful art and this series is fun and heart-warming.
    • Ouran High School Host Club - Read and reading. One of the series I wouldn't mind collecting. Good romantic comedy.
    • Naruto - Haven't read, but you so as I probably know what this is about. I never got into Naruto much.
    • Inuyasha - Haven't read but watched. Well, you know what to expect of this one. I, personally, am not sure if I would like to collect it... it's a long series I would prefer watching instead, because as much as I love Inuyasha, it has a loads of action that is there to fill (Die already Naraku!). But it's really up to you, if you enjoy it...
    • Negima! - Haven't read. Can't help you with this one.
    • DragonBall Z - Haven't read, watched esporadically, never fancied this series (liked Saint Seiya though).
    • Tsubasa - Haven't read. Saw Tsubasa Chronicles though. I'm not sure I can help you with this one... Already mentioned what I could in Chobits.
    • Skip Beat! - Read and reading. I like a lot this manga, both the plot and the mangaka's writing style (the illustrations are equally rich and incredibly detailed). It's more mature and credible than many series and probably the best shoujo ongoing series for me. The characters are complex, rich and it has good comedy. I would prefer reading this over a soap-opera of any kind. I still am a bit embarassed for having misjudged this series based on shoujo prejudice, if not I could have have found it faster. I recommend you to give it a check to know what I'm taking about.
    • Soul Eater - Haven't read or watched. Can't help you with this one.
    • Yotsuba&! - Haven't read or watched. Can't help you with this one, however it raised my curiosity...maybe you should search it a bit.
    • Rosario+Vampire, Season II - Haven't read watched some of the anime. From what I can remember this series is about a boy whose grades don't allow him to apply for school, who eventually enrolls into an academy where students are only demons, so the last ones can coexist with humans. He meets and falls in love with a girl that is a vampire, and decides to hide his nature, going through various challenges. Personally, I'm not very keen of the fact this series screams shounen. Also I went to check wiki and it said there are differences concerning characters between the manga and the anime.
    • Alice in the Country of Hearts, aka Heart no Kuni no Alice - I've remembered I read this series before, though I didn't complete it, so I don't mind reading it again to have a word with you after.
    • Black Butler - Read but stopped. I think Kuroshitsuji's setting is very explicit, am not sure of the development however.
    • Hetalia Axis Power
    - Haven't read, saw a bit of the manga. It's slapstick I guess.

If it were me, I would definitely go for FMA. I wouldn't mind collecting Ouran or Skip Beat, but I'm not very sure if I would do it as they are both of considerable length, and I would be already collecting FMA (possibly I would anyway). Alice in the Country of Hearts gets my interest. I would go for Pandora Hearts over Maid Sama! and Chobits. Black Butler, I'm a bit undecisive, it wouldn't be a worthless choice.

Please, do still answer the questions of the previous comment.

P.S: Didn't mention in my first post, but congrats! What a nice gift you received.
    Saito Hajime
    Saito Hajime

Post by Saito Hajime Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:51 pm

@Iru TGM is right about what I like. I do like the D-Gray Man. I have read some Black Butler and I can get Maid Sama from a library. I guess I'll think about FMA. I watched Soul Eater and it was great (except ending). I tried watching Tsubasa but I never read it. I also might try Pandora Hearts. Thank you Iru for the suggestions.
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:02 pm

You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't explanate things more. You may check online viewing sites, may help you with your choice. Yup, FMA, it has both action comedy and fantasy, so you it's obviously a worthy one.

To be honest, I didn't dislike Tsubasa though I never got much into it... I prefer CSS or Chobits over it, yet again, I never gave it a proper following, but it wasn't one that I immediately become interested. True, it also has those genres.
    I'm much more confortable with Pandora Hearts, I definitely can say it's a good read. Btw, I'm not sure if it's you but TGM said some friend of his was trying to get him into the anime? Be assured, the mangas is just as good or better.
    Saito Hajime
    Saito Hajime

Post by Saito Hajime Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:04 pm

It is not me, but I think it might be someone from the school we go to.
    TGM
    TGM
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by TGM Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Iru wrote:[*]Inuyasha - Haven't read but watched. Well, you know what to expect of this one. I, personally, am not sure if I would like to collect it... it's a long series I would prefer watching instead, because as much as I love Inuyasha, it has a loads of action that is there to fill (Die already Naraku!). But it's really up to you, if you enjoy it...

this. P: and nice job with the info Iru xDD

and yes Saito Chan ~ it's not you.
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Why, thank you.
    zero
    zero

Post by zero Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:36 pm

I believe that Deathnote is a manga to right? im surprised that IRU , you didnt mention it? maybe you mentioned it and I missed it haha
    minininja
    minininja

Post by minininja Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 pm

I would recommend samurai deeper kyo it's definitely one of my favorite mangas
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:52 pm

@Zero I went for the Barnes & Noble site's Manga area and listed the japanese manga I saw there, dunno if there's more in the shops who aren't listed.
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:14 pm

But yes, it would definitely be one of my recommendations, Obata Takeshi's impecable art and Ohba Tsugumi's paced plot are worthy.

In spite of that, it's all about if you fancy the plot or not and I'm not sure if Saito likes psychological thrillers, not much in the genres Saito said he/she liked. Now, FMA I'm pretty convinced he/she will enjoy. In spite of reading a fair deal of manga, I seldom find one that I adore...
    minininja
    minininja

Post by minininja Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:16 pm

For me the manga has to catch my attention.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:34 pm