Animelovers411 Connection

Hello, Welcome to animelovers411 Connection! Please Login or Sign up With us!
Thank you

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello, Welcome to animelovers411 Connection! Please Login or Sign up With us!
Thank you

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new Forum made for the true Animelovers411 viewers! Get to know all new anime lovers and old firends on you new Animelovers411 Connection!

Enjoy anime at 11:00 pm to 5:00 am, Saturday night on Adult Swim!

+6
MintyAkuma
zero
bleachlove
L
treeckofan
gaara`s land
10 posters

Death Note Ban?

gaara`s land
    gaara`s land
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Death Note Ban? Empty Death Note Ban?

Post by gaara`s land Mon May 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Is this right? or wrong or something that must be done?

New Mexico's Albuquerque Public Schools held a Thursday hearing over a parent's concerns on the Death Note manga series, but a committee voted unanimously against a proposed district-wide ban on the manga. Peggy Salazar, a mother of a student at Albuquerque's Volcano Vista High School, advocated for the ban and added, "Killing is just not something we should put out there for our kids to read in this way." At least two of the district's 13 other high schools — Valley High School and Atrisco Heritage Academy — also carry the manga in their libraries.

In the Death Note suspense manga, live-action films, and anime adaptation, a teenager finds a notebook with which he can put people to death by writing their names and the dictated manners of death.

According to the KRQE News 13 program, this is the first time in five years that the district had considered banning a book, and a spokesperson told the program that the district had not actually banned a book in recent memory. Tom Genne, one of the seven committee members at Thursday's hearing, said, "High school age kids do grapple with questions about justice and morality, and whether civilization, or the societies of which they are a part of, are making good decisions." Eddie Soto, the district's associate superintendent for secondary education, will make the final decision on the manga.

Singer Justin Bieber
    In a separate development, the WPXI television station reported on Monday that a 14-year-old eighth-grade student from Pennsylvania's Avonworth Middle School was suspended after a "Death Note" list was found on a school bus last week. According to a mother of another eighth-grade student at the school, the notebook paper listed the names of several students in the same grade and teenaged Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber.
    Ohio Township police said a student wrote "Death Note" on the upper right corner of the paper, but added that the list did not constitute a crime. Although the police are still investigating, Chief Norbert Micklos told WPXI, "There was nothing that substantiated a threat; just names and a date on it."

There have been at least six previous incidents in the United States where school officials linked "Death Notes" to students being disciplined. A high school senior in Richmond, Virginia was suspended in 2007 over a list of his classmates that the school principal linked to Death Note. A middle school student in Hartsville, South Carolina was "removed" from school over a "Death Note" notebook in March of 2008. In Gadsden, Alabama, two sixth-grade students were arrested in the following month for a notebook that allegedly listed their school staff and fellow students in a manner similar to the Death Note anime. A middle school in Gig Harbor, Washington expelled one student and disciplined three others in May of 2008 for writing 50 names in their own "Death Note" book. Two elementary school students from Oklahoma City were to be disciplined last December for allegedly listing two other students and the manners of their fictional deaths in a "Death Note" notebook. An eighth-grade student was suspended indefinitely from a middle school in Owosso, Michigan after a "Death Note" notebook was found this past March.

On the other hand, a Washington state librarians' group nominated the manga for a young adults' book award. The manga's Taiwanese publisher and a non-profit Taiwanese watchdog group supported the work for raising issues
    treeckofan
    treeckofan
    Pirvate Second Class Animelogist

Death Note Ban? Empty Re: Death Note Ban?

Post by treeckofan Wed May 12, 2010 1:51 pm

i guess its kind of like making a list of people you want to kill! but dont ban the manga because you might as well ban every other series! they have killing in them too! except one piece lol
    L
    L
    Pirvite First Class Animelogist

Post by L Thu May 13, 2010 8:30 pm

ha ... i would die !!!!
    treeckofan
    treeckofan

Post by treeckofan Fri May 14, 2010 6:39 pm

i would deliberately bring the manga, death note diary, and an L t-shirt to school
    bleachlove

Post by bleachlove Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 pm

i know! i own a L t-shirt anyway! So i would totally do that too! just to make a scene! lol evil laugh
    zero
    zero
    Sergeant Major Animelogist

Post by zero Sat May 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Same here I would get all my deathnote friends to do it too haha
    MintyAkuma
    MintyAkuma
    Class D Animelogist
    Class D Animelogist

Post by MintyAkuma Sat May 15, 2010 8:56 pm

This reminds me of the incident in china, but the students at school where bringing Deathnotes so it got banned Death note all together. Its ridiculous really, but then again anime has been the blame for many incidents involving teens/adolescents. I dunno, to me it always seems like some parents are finding some anime to blame left and right. It goes both ways though. Some kids know better, some don't.
    zero
    zero

Post by zero Sun May 16, 2010 1:30 am

its so unfair how they blame anime for something that they cant control you know like anime is other whole world it does not get the credit it derseves if you ask me
    MintyAkuma
    MintyAkuma
    Class D Animelogist
    Class D Animelogist

Post by MintyAkuma Sun May 16, 2010 1:37 am

zero wrote:its so unfair how they blame anime for something that they cant control you know like anime is other whole world it does not get the credit it derseves if you ask me

I agree Smile The fact that they can't control it makes it more irritating for them(oh well) Just as much as it is looked down upon many parents, it is also gaining more acknowledgment in other places (Hollywood movies even though they suck), universities, museums and even movie stars
    zero
    zero

Post by zero Sun May 16, 2010 1:40 am

wow thats dum , anime is so important to use animelovers and for people to blame things on use and things is fustrating lol well what are you going to do haha
    TGM
    TGM
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by TGM Sun May 16, 2010 8:11 am

They would ban Death Note in a School...
    lol
    treeckofan
    treeckofan

Post by treeckofan Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm

what are they gonna ban next? video games?
    zero
    zero

Post by zero Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 pm

NOOOOOOOO I CANT LIVE WITH OUT THEM , they should bannd healthy food
    OnomichiSaruokami
    OnomichiSaruokami

Post by OnomichiSaruokami Mon May 17, 2010 10:03 am

I understand the adults concern for the children. But Death Note is merely entertainment. Something made up by someone's imagination. What happened in the anime/manga is also made up. It's not like it's going to come true if you buy a Death Note, walk to school, and put people's names down. Death Notes sold in stores are just regular notebooks that are look alikes to the one in the anime. Of course, adults don't want their kids to think about killing anyone but it's just a faze that kids go through with anime. For example, Pokemon. When Pokemon was widely popular, kids started buying pokemon cards and did their little card battles. Battles = Fight = Violence = Same thing that Death Note is doing
    Fazes wear down someday. Adults overreact when they hear death so they get scared and ban everything that has something to do with it.
    chibixdesigner
    chibixdesigner

Post by chibixdesigner Mon May 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Amazing point like overall there are alot of things on tv that influnces a kid , there's so much that parents can't hide it from them or control it for long like video games like GTA there's drugs violence and more in there you can't overrect
    zero
    zero

Post by zero Tue May 18, 2010 8:19 pm

OnomichiSaruokami wrote:I understand the adults concern for the children. But Death Note is merely entertainment. Something made up by someone's imagination. What happened in the anime/manga is also made up. It's not like it's going to come true if you buy a Death Note, walk to school, and put people's names down. Death Notes sold in stores are just regular notebooks that are look alikes to the one in the anime. Of course, adults don't want their kids to think about killing anyone but it's just a faze that kids go through with anime. For example, Pokemon. When Pokemon was widely popular, kids started buying pokemon cards and did their little card battles. Battles = Fight = Violence = Same thing that Death Note is doing
    Fazes wear down someday. Adults overreact when they hear death so they get scared and ban everything that has something to do with it.

i completely agree with you , there just overreacting at something and they just want something to blame which would be our favorite anime deathnote
    OnomichiSaruokami
    OnomichiSaruokami

Post by OnomichiSaruokami Wed May 19, 2010 9:57 am

Pfft, Adults hate fun O.o
    zero
    zero

Post by zero Wed May 26, 2010 5:20 pm

haha they just want there kids safe B.S!!!! HAHAHAHA
    Iru
    Iru
    Senior Animelogist
    Senior Animelogist

Post by Iru Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 pm

I'll just copy what the comment I posted in the your blog Zero:
    [...] Hai there. I decided to open with «kids these days…»
    I have heard of this before. I do wonder why people always put the blame on something else. (smile) I guess it’s easier to accept than admit my child is
    a) a badass mass-murderer wannabe in training
    b) vulnerable to Light’s evil side brainwash (awesomeness is overwhelming)
    c) a long time hardcore Death Note fan
    d) a person who fancies to write with style in a cool notebook
    e) a kid with Light Yagami as alter ego/idol/fantasy/GOD
    f) a student that wants a fashionable diary
    g) someone with issues
    h) all of them

Feel free to pick.
    It’s obvious, people have their mind for some reason. I seriously won’t discuss any further because it’s ridiculous (and you already said it all).[...]
    Period.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:30 am